Skip to main content Skip to footer

Irregular water consumption and leaks

What is excessive water consumption?

Excessive water consumption is water use that exceeds the average customer’s water consumption over a given period of time.
In Israel, average water consumption per person is about 80 cubic meters of water per year, or nearly 200 liters per day.
Excessive water consumption can be attributed to a variety of factors:

Excessive Water Consumption Due to Leaking

Water leakage in someone’s personal system can cause water loss and, consequently, increased water consumption.
Once a leak starts, it’s not always noticeable. Hence, early identification can prevent water loss and the monetary charges that come with it.

How is excessive consumption due to leaking detected?

Excessive water consumption can be identified in the associated water meter, i.e. private consumption, or in the main water meter, i.e. shared consumption.

The following steps can help you identify the source of the leak:

  1. 1. Water Meter Number - Make sure that the water meter number installed on your property matches the number that appears in your invoices.
  2. 2. Read the Meter - Make sure that the meter reading is higher than the last reading that appeared in your most recent invoice.
  3. 3. Details Verification - Close all taps on your property and then check if the central arrow flow indicator on your private meter continues to rotate. If it turns out that there is no connection between the rotation of the water meter and the opening/ closing of the taps on your property, then the meter you are looking at may not be the meter associated with your property. Please contact us at the Mei Avivim Telephone Service Center to report the issue. If, after closing all the taps, the water meter continues to rotate, there may be leakage and this must be repaired.
  4. 4. What happens when the property is empty? The water meter readings should be checked before and after a prolonged cessation of water usage, such as before going to bed or in the morning, or when leaving/ returning to work. If there is a difference in the readings, then there is leaking.
  5. 5. Get professional advice! If you haven’t been able to find the leak yourself, then you should consult a qualified professional to help you find and fix the leak’s source. It’s important to ensure that the leak is detected and repaired as soon as possible so you can avoid wasting both water and money.

So where is the leaking?

A few simple and quick tests can help you find the source of the leak. In your bathroom, check if the toilet flush tank is jammed or if the toilet bowl leaks.
In the garden, check if the irrigation system is damaged or leaking. It’s also important to check the hidden and the covered parts of the system.
Solar/ Electric Boiler – If your boiler is leaking, it’s recommended to check the bottom of the boiler container and the surface underneath to make sure that there is no moisture.

Excessive Water Consumption that is not Due to Leaking

Excessive water consumption can also occur for other reasons not connected to leaking. Before filling out a request for excessive water consumption due to leaking.

the following reasons must be ruled out:

  • Private Consumption - Change in the number of property tenants or in tenant consumption habits.
  • Common Consumption - Watering a garden, washing cars, washing garbage bins, building renovations, water theft or misreading.

If there is an irregularity relating to leaking, you can apply for a reduced rate!
The process of the reduced rate due to excessive consumption related to leaking is defined by the regulations of water and sewage corporations (service standards), 2011, set by the Water Authority and to which Mei Avivim is obligated to abide.

Under what conditions will I be exempted from the excessive consumption reduced rate?

  • The amount of water measured in the private or main water meter during the billing period equals or exceeds 150% of the normal consumption (i.e. the consumption of the corresponding period last year and, in the absence of a corresponding period, the average consumption amount of the past two billing periods).
  • Six months have not elapsed since the end of the last billing period for which the request is sought.
  • Main Water Meter - Unusual consumption from property deriving from leaking that was not recognized in the year prior to the first billing period for which the request is sought.
  • Private Water Meter - Unusual consumption from property deriving from leaking more than once in the preceding year of the first billing period for which the request is sought.

What is the ‘reduced rate’ application process for excessive consumption due to leaking?

Submit an application for a private water system – An application for a reduced fee due to private water system leakage must be completed via an online form.
Submit an application for a shared water system – An application for a reduced fee due to shared water system leakage must be completed via an online form.  

What is the credit refund process for leakage?

  • After submitting the application and a declaration regarding property leakage repair, we will examine the consumption in the leakage billing period, in accordance with the received declaration, and compare it with consumption in the corresponding period of the previous year.
  • If there is a 150% or more difference in consumption, the occupant will be credited for the consumption in accordance with the reduced rate set by the Water Authority.
  • Recognition of excessive consumption resulting from leaking is granted, at most, for two consecutive billing periods (four consecutive months only).
  • Thus, the credit refund provided for leakage recognition is calculated according to the reduced rate set by the Water Authority in comparison with the property’s consumption data in the corresponding period of the previous year and is thus for the difference between the leakage period and the corresponding period. This does not mean that the previous charge is deleted.

For more information, please contact the Mei Avivim Telephone Service Center>>